Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sparkling For Equality

Tonight I volunteered with Equality California. I helped out with their phone banking - trying to get people to come out and make more calls to expand the team or to encourage supporters to come out and help recruit face to face. Basically, I spent the evening making phone calls to complete strangers to ask for donations of time or money. Mostly, it was just people not home. But, I did get a few and almost every single person that I spoke with said yes. Yes, they would come out and make phone calls next week. Yes, they would come out and help recruit in person on Sunday. Yes, they could donate money. Yes, yes, yes.

Now, I have to tell you, before I arrived at the EQCA offices, I started to get a little nervous. I have done telemarketing and donation calls in the past and it can be challenging. People hesitate or want off your list or what have you and you can end up with a mess. But, as we were going through the short orientation, we were told (and I realized) that these people were already yeses. They just needed the push.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't banking million dollar donations and I don't have a volunteer list five hundred people deep. But I do have a few drops in the bucket. Those drops have friends who have friends who have friends. Drops in the bucket are how we change the world. The people that I talked to made me realize how many people that are out there that are willing to do good. They just need to be asked.

So, now, I'm asking you. What can you give? What can you do? How can you make this world better?

It's not hard to do good. It's not hard to spread love. It's easy. You just have to say yes.




If you would like to DONATE to Equality California, click HERE.
If you would like to VOLUNTEER with Equality California, click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. love that you did this. what an awesome cause to support

    ReplyDelete