Saturday, January 9, 2010

Forgiveness

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.” - Thomas S. Szasz

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” - Mahatma Gandhi

“To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.” - Robert Muller

Forgiveness is one of the most challenging and most important lessons we can learn. Without forgiveness, we cannot truly move forward. We cannot really be healed. Most of all, without forgiveness, we are still holding anger, resentment, and hatred in our hearts. To move forward and to spread positivity and love, we must forgive.

It may seam weak to forgive. It is not. It is one of the strongest things you can do. It is removing yourself from the binds of pain. It is beginning the cycle of healing and the return to love with or without the apology of another. Forgiveness, like gratitude, leads to compassion.

I forgave someone recently. It was someone who I allowed to break my heart over and over again. I kept offering it up and he kept breaking it, every time cruelly and purposefully. It was the hardest forgiving I have ever had to do. There was so much anger, anger him for hurting me and anger at myself for letting him hurt me. I had to separate my anger and pain and realize that, as I angry as I was at him for causing me pain, I was accountable, too. I had to forgive myself. When I could do that, I could forgive him. When I could forgive him, I could finally be at peace. I may not ever forget and he will never be a part of my life again, but now I can move forward, free from the ties that bound me to that pain. I am free from putting that pain, anger, and bitterness into new relationships.

Forgiving is one of the most loving things we can do. It takes self-love and love for others. The only way to reach forgiveness is through love.

A great read on forgiveness is: The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace by Jack Kornfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment