Saturday, January 2, 2010

Gratitude


"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others." - Cicero

"Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude." - Denis Waitley


I knew that I wanted today to be about gratitude. After the gluttony of the holidays with gifts and food and parties, I knew that I wanted to focus on somthing less consumptive. I know that when I remember all of the amazing, wonderful things that I have to be thankful for, it changes my perspective. It reminds me that, even though I have challenges, I am surrounded by many, many blessings.

So, yes, I knew that I wanted today to be about gratitude. However, I also knew that I didn't want it to be a self-indulgent laundry list of the things that I was grateful for. (How boring for you!) But, as I was working a double shift at my restaurant job, I just wasn't sure I was going to be given anything more than said laundry list.

Well, let me tell you something about the Universe, ask and you shall receive.

I'm going to give you some monotonous details so bear with me. I worked a seven table section tonight. If you've ever waited tables, you know that's kind of a lot for a busy casual dining restaurant on a Saturday night. As we were starting to get our dinner rush, I was sat a party of seven. Since two tables were pushed together for the party, I had five other tables. Now, normally, this would just make me a little busy. But, tonight, tonight was a different story all together. Six of the seven people in the party were blind. This meant that drinks and every requested item had to be handed to people, not just placed on the table, among other special services that I needed to provide. They also requested four separate checks and needed me to help them sign the credit card statments. This might not seem like a lot but considering that the needs of this table doubled or tripled the time that I spent with them, it made it much more difficult to do my job and I imagine that my other tables felt somewhat neglected.

I was about five minutes away from a nervous breakdown when it occured to me that this was it, this was my chance to turn a challenge around, to change my energy from frustration and negativity to that of gratitude and positivity. I experienced, not only gratitude for my sight, but gratitude for all of the abilities that keep me employed, safe, and living. I felt most thankful for dancing, for being able to hear music and see choreography. But, even more than gratitude for my own life, I felt compassion and love for these people. Frustration melted into understanding. Stress turned into patience.

Tonight I really learned the lesson of gratitude. I really learned what it means to be thankful, that it goes beyond a nice note after getting a gift or being extended a special courtesy. It is more external that just acknowledging and appreciating all of the good things in life. I think that if we can all experience real gratitude, we can shift the engergy around us. And, if we can shift the energy around us, we can change the world.

Kinda sparkles, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. You gave me goose-bumps. What a great way to start off the Sparkle Project. I cant wait to read how everything around you is going to shift now, because of your intention with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you to join in! Let's shift everything around us together!

    ReplyDelete